Union Depot Lansing Michigan 1903
!-- #EndLibraryItem -->
History Tour Home

Clara’s Lansing Station closed its doors on June 26, 2016. Here, we would like to share some history of the depot, and Clara's, and Clara's founder Pete Jubeck. "He developed this amazing almost museum-like atmosphere, for everybody." said his daughter Cindy Jubeck.

For more information about the closing of Clara's Lansing Station and an excellent historical photo tour, click here to see the article in Lansing State Journal.

In 1978, Jubeck chose the old Union Depot (Lansing, Michigan) built in 1903 as the site of his venture Clara's Lansing Station, which opened in the summer of 1979 bringing life back into the once proud structure. When Jubeck purchased the 1903 Union Depot, which was near a string of adult book stores and bars that lined Michigan Avenue, he saw potential and had a vision for  the revitalization of the downtown area.

From its beginning in 1903, the “Union Depot” on Michigan Avenue was a haven of hospitality for train passengers and Lansing locals whose entertainment was watching the iron horse pull in each day. It’s rumored this station was also used as a backdrop in the production and shooting of the famous novel turned movie “Anatomy of a Murder.” The elaborate combination of cut stone arches and towers was designed be Detroit architects Spiers and Rohns who gave several Michigan railroad stations a similar dash of Romanesque design.

Clara's Lansing Station

You can still take the tour of Clara's Lansing Station by following the menu on the left or clicking the image below.

union depot lansing historic marker

Peter Jubeck

Peter G. "Pete" Jubeck (February 9, 1936–May 12, 2003) was a Czech American businessman who founded, with partner Robert Swartz, the restaurants; Sir Pizza of Michigan and Clara's Lansing Station, both in Lansing, Michigan, and; with partner Ross Simpson, Clara's on the River in Battle Creek, Michigan. For more information on Pete Jubeck, click here to see the wikipedia article about him.

Visible signs of wealth appeared throughout Lansing in the early days of the new century, thanks to an industrial pioneer named Ransom E. Olds. His genius in motor car design brought a revolution in travel that quickly labeled Lansing “Olds Town” and insured Michigan’s future as the Automotive State. For more information about the history of Clara's click here to see a pdf of the history from the old menu.

Peter's children, Scott and Cindy, continued to own and operate the restaurant after the passing of Peter in 2013. They sought out potential buyers who would respect its historical roots and prepare for future enhancements. Gillespie Group took over the property and intend to fully uphold the standard of excellence that Peter Jubeck set 37 years ago. Although decisions are in the process as to the depot’s future use, we are certain that it will continue to be a Lansing mainstay for years to come. Click here to learn more about the current owners.

Clara's on the River, 44 McCamly St. N., Battle Creek, MI 49017 • 269-963-0966